Thursday, 12 May 2011

Why Twitter is not suitable for research and deep thoughts

Blogs are still better for the communication of research ideas and deep thoughts, for several reasons.

First of all, tweets are too short to transfer meaningful amounts of information relating to research or thought.  Secondly, due to their instant nature, people take less care with the grammar and spelling.  Editing  tweets and refining their content also never happens.

This all conspires to make tweets more like gossip.  Here is what this blog would look like on Twitter:
@Joburg So u think my meter is faulty and I have to get a prepaid metee? WTF #billingcrisis

My new #prepaid meter installed today.  Finally!  Took them long enough #billingcrisis

Seems like there are some hidden codes.  Please RT link to site explaining them if someone has it

OK, found a few codes for #prepaid meter.  Might add them to site late - too many for tweet.

WTF is up wit #Colgate #toothpaste ? Tubes are smaller, but the price is still the same? #ripoff

F***ing #Taxis! #rant

Someone I know just got R500 fine + 1 point for stopping at a red robot! #WTF #AARTO

Just read review of new BlueMotion #Polo.  LOL comments - clearly fuel consumption progress and safety not well understood.  Just Google it - should find something.

F***ing #taxis and #idiots on the road! #roadrage

Just caught another #Mythbusters episode.  Busted #deathray for the third time.  Maybe they should use soldiers next time?

Anyway, that is why you won't find my thoughts on Twitter.  Maybe one day I'll be smart enough to transmit all I need in only 140 characters.  Until then, this is how I'll share my thoughts and ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment