Monday, 18 February 2013

Advertising Mathematics

I suspect that radio advertisements on a national station such as 5fm must be pretty expensive.
Certainly, if I had to pay for such an ad, I would probably check the maths before giving the go ahead.  Apparently people in advertising, copywriting and editing do not seem to think so, though.  (Unfortunately I cannot recall which companies were actually advertising; shows you how effective the ads were, or how defective my memory is).  Two recent examples (paraphrased, but the numbers are correct):

According to BigInsurer the average time spent waiting for a call centre call to be answered is 38s. [Does that include the time spent listening to and navigating the IVR menu? I doubt that...].  This means that you spend 1.2 years of your life waiting for a call centre agent.  [1.2 years 38 000 000 s, which seems to imply that the average person makes a million calls to call centres over their lifetime.  I hope to make significantly fewer calls...]

According to SomeCompany, your heart will beat 3 million times in your lifetime, so make them count.  [Indeed, make them count! At 60 beats per minute (don't get excited or exercise) that is just more than a month (34.7 days).  I do agree with the fact that your life tends to stop just after your heart stops beating, if you can't get it going again soon...]

Or maybe it is a filter, to ensure that they don't target mathematically literate people?

No comments:

Post a Comment