Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Colgate vs Aquafresh

I never really cared whether I bought Colgate or Aquafresh toothpaste.  In fact, if I had to choose, it would be Colgate, since I liked their flip-top design more.
Recently, however, I noticed that Colgate has reduced the size of their tubes - the standard tubes now contain 75ml rather than 100ml as before.  The tube length is unchanged though, meaning that you only notice it if you carefully inspect the diameter or packaging.
Aquafresh is still using the standard 100ml tubes.

Why is this relevant?
Since Colgate did not reduce the length of the tubes but only the diameter, their total packaging costs (and perceived size) has remained almost unchanged.  They did not adjust the price downwards, yet you now receive 25% less toothpaste for your money.
Well, I noticed, and am now using Aquafresh exclusively.

No comments:

Post a Comment